Presidant plum leather roll ups.

Friday, August 29, 2014






Plums plums plums. It may be a shock, it shouldn't be if you've known me a while, but when it comes to fruit I don't want it cooked! There are a few exceptions. Blueberry muffins. Raspberries with white chocolate baked and now these. If you didn't have fruit winders as a child you missed out big time. They were such a big craze when I was little. Also a great snack because you could come back to it if you couldn't eat it, just roll it back up!

I bought these plums from my local market. You can't beat local produce and I wanted the plums to be ripe enough. When you buy shop bought they usually need to be left a couple of days to ripen and I don't want to wait! The idea of making these came from two places. Pinterest and Sweets Made Simple. I actually pinned a version of these and then that evening they were being made on the programme so I decided it was a sign and that these needed to be baked! 

I will warn you, you will need a good few hours or if you're brave enough leave your oven on overnight! Fancy a go?

Adapted from Sweets Made Simple

You will need:
6 presidant plums
50g caster sugar
1/2 lemon, juice
200ml water

Line a large baking tray with microwave proof cling film. Please check this before!

Preheat your oven to 50ºC/Gas 1/4.

Half, stone and chop the plums into quarters. Place the plums into a pan with 200ml of water and cover with a lid. Simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until the fruit is soft. If your plums are ripe, like mine were, it will only take around 8 minutes.

Take the lid off and mash the fruit using a potato masher. Stir in the sugar and lemon juice.

Put the pan back on the heat and stir continuously for another ten minutes or until the mixture has thickened.

Leave to cool slightly before pureeing the fruit in a blender.

Spoon the mixture onto the prepared baking tray and smooth over with a spoon.

Bake for at least 10 hours or until set with a leathery texture. 

Allow to cool.

Lift the leather away from the cling film. Cut into strips. I made 8. 

Roll up and serve.

Store in an airtight container.


2 Replies

2 comments

  1. Stunning photography! I love the idea and how you presented them. This may almost convince me to eat fruit..

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They were tasty even for someone with a cooked fruit phobia.

      Delete

© Little Paper Swans. Design by Fearne.