Simple Carrot Cake Recipe.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014


simple, carrot, cake, recipe, blog, blogger, uk, lifestyle,

simple, carrot, cake, recipe, blog, blogger, uk, lifestyle,

simple, carrot, cake, recipe, blog, blogger, uk, lifestyle,

Carrot cake is one of my favourite cakes but I have to admit I've only ever made it a handful of times. I'm not sure why but it's never high up my to-bake list. I'm really glad I made it. It's a rather messy business grating carrot and I don't know if it's just me but I usually end up almost grating my fingers off. Next time I'm using my food processor, the lazy way out. 

I've been really busy recently and it feels like I've only now had time to stop. I've been working lots of hours and then we've had a lot of social things going on this month (weird, not like us antisocial people at all). I'm very excited to begin my week off, I'm even more excited that I'll be spending it with my Mr. It seems like ages since we've spent a full day together. We've got plans involving a walk along the seafront, chips and doughnuts. I also want to go charity shopping and possibly start my Christmas shopping. 

Working in retail means very little time of near Christmas so being organised is a must. I've got a few Halloween posts planned before next Friday and then after that as long as you promise not to hate me I might start my Christmas series. Lots of DIY's, gifts and baking. My sister in law and I have a  couple of Pinterest boards with all our ideas on so expect to see a lot more of that!

Anyway enough of my chit chat onto the recipe. I will say now I've adapted this recipe from one of Paul Hollywood's. Risky business I know. If I was on bake off I'm pretty sure he would death stare me with those piercing blue eyes.

simple, carrot, cake, recipe, blog, blogger, uk, lifestyle,

simple, carrot, cake, recipe, blog, blogger, uk, lifestyle,

simple, carrot, cake, recipe, blog, blogger, uk, lifestyle,

You will need:

For the cake:
155ml vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing
230g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp mixed spice
½ tsp ground ginger
1 tsp vanilla extract
230g caster sugar 
260g carrots, coarsely grated
3 medium free-range eggs, beaten

For the frosting:
300g full-fat cream cheese
200g icing sugar, plus extra to dust

For decoration:
Lustre dust/edible glitter

Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. 

Grease two sponge/sandwich tins line with baking paper. 

Sift the flour, baking powder and spices into a large bowl.

 Add the sugar, grated carrots, beaten eggs, vanilla and oil, then mix well.

Pour into the cake tins and bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack, leave in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out and leave to cool.

For the frosting, beat the cream cheese and sift in the icing sugar, beat until smooth. 

To assemble the cake. Take the flattest sponge and place onto your cake stand. Add 1/3 of the frosting onto the sponge and spread until smooth. Add the other sponge onto and pile on the rest of the frosting. 

Spread the frosting evenly over the top and down the sides. Using a palette knife create lines in the frosting. Sprinkle with lustre dust!

Enjoy.




1 Reply

1 comment

  1. That looks so delicious! I would never be able to make it look as nice as you did ;(
    Marissa Jamie : Faithfully, Marissa ♡

    ReplyDelete

© Little Paper Swans. Design by Fearne.