Christmas gift ideas: Recipe books review.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014


recipe, books, review, christmas, food, blog, blogger, uk, lifestyle, baking, scandi, primrose, bakery, great, british, bake, off


Every Christmas for the last few years there has been a recipe book on my Christmas list. I have to admit which will probably horrify most people, but recipe books are my favourite type of book. Anything that has lovely recipes and great food photography and styling wins me over. A couple of weeks ago I went on a little bit of a library binge and picked out a few new recipe books. I thought I'd review each one for you, especially if you are trying to decide which book should be top of your Christmas list.

recipe, books, review, christmas, food, blog, blogger, uk, lifestyle, baking, scandi, primrose, bakery, great, british, bake, off


Scandinavian Baking
Tine Hahnemann [RRP: £25]

This book has lots of recipes. I know a recipe book should have but this is jam packed. It would be the book that keeps on giving and it would take a long time before you were bored of it and made all the recipes. The photography and styling is just beautiful which always wins me over. The book is divided into sections and the Midsumer cake party section is my favourite. It's full of beautiful fruity cakes and I could easily bake all of them. 

Best recipe: Choux pastries with rhubarb cream. 

Downside: Not much maybe the font for the recipes could be a bit bigger. Or maybe I should just put my glasses on.

recipe, books, review, christmas, food, blog, blogger, uk, lifestyle, baking, scandi, primrose, bakery, great, british, bake, off


Scandilicious Baking
Signe Johasen [RRP: £25]

Another scandivian baking book. In my opinion the book above is better but this does other some lovely recipes. Again the photography and styling is just what you'd expect from a Scandivian book. The book is divided into chapters by type and there are some lovely bread recipes.

Best recipe: Breadsticks 3 ways.

Downside: Not every recipe has a photograph. I do find it really difficult to visualise what something should look like without a photograph.

recipe, books, review, christmas, food, blog, blogger, uk, lifestyle, baking, scandi, primrose, bakery, great, british, bake, off


Primrose Bakery Christmas
Martha Swift [RRP:£20]

I love this book. I had others from the library before and its full of great and fun recipes. There has always been loads of recipes that I want to bake. The photographs are kitsch and cute. I really can't fault this book. It's full of recipes you could bake all year round too. This book has a ribbon page marker which also ticks one of my boxes!

Best recipe: Rainbow cake.

Downside: I don't own it yet!

recipe, books, review, christmas, food, blog, blogger, uk, lifestyle, baking, scandi, primrose, bakery, great, british, bake, off


The Great British Bake Off Christmas
Lizzie Kamenetzky with recipes from Bake Off judges and contestants. [RRP:£20]

Ahh the Bake Off book. I love the series so I was very excited for this book. The book has such a cosy feel, the photographs create such a Christmasy feeling. There are more than just baking recipes which is great for the all round cook.

Best recipe: Mary's Yule Log

Downside: To be honest I did find it a little disappointing.  The recipes are not anything exciting and not all of them appealed to me.


I hope that this post has helped a little and the Primrose Bakery Christmas book is my must have! 

What books are on your list this year?


All the opinions in these reviews are my own so just because I don't like it doesn't mean it's a bad book, it's just something that I wouldn't perhaps want to own. 

0 Replies

Post a Comment

© Little Paper Swans. Design by Fearne.