[Food] Chocolate and Tahini Loaf Cake

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

 baking, recipe, blog, blogger, uk, loaf, cake, tahini, sesame, chocolate, easy, mum, mummy, mama

baking, recipe, blog, blogger, uk, loaf, cake, tahini, sesame, chocolate, easy, mum, mummy, mama

Sometimes it's the unexpected ingredients in something that makes it taste amazing. I do love finding or developing recipes with different ingredients. I can't take credit for this recipe though, this is all down to a recipe I saw in last months Good Food magazine. I used to buy the magazine a lot but when you have a baby to buy things for you kind of neglect buying things for yourself (all you mamas reading this know it's true!). 

So last month my husband came back from the shop with a treat for both me and Edie. Edie got a cuddly lamb and I got Good Food Magazine. It was a really lovely thought as he knows it's one of my favourites.

After scrolling through the magazine and marking my favourite recipes I came across this one. I knew I had to make it and my sister in law wanted to as well so last Saturday afternoon while Edie napped we made the cake. I love sesame seeds and although I've never tried tahni I was pretty sure I would like the taste of it. It works so well in the cake, kind of like a peanut butter but a lot less nutty (obviously). 



baking, recipe, blog, blogger, uk, loaf, cake, tahini, sesame, chocolate, easy, mum, mummy, mama

Chocolate and Tahni Loaf Cake


- Makes 1 - 


Adapted from BBC Good Food Magazine



For the Chocolate Swirl:

100g salted butter, plus extra for greasing

100g dark chocolate

100g caster sugar

50ml strong espresso

50ml soured cream

1 egg

100g self raising flour

3 tsp cocoa powder

For the Sesame Swirl:

125g self rasing flour

75g tahini

1/2 tsp. baking powder

75ml strong espresso

75g caster sugar

2 tbsp. milk

For the Topping:

150ml double cream

2 tbsp cocoa powder

1 tsp. vanilla extract

sesame brittle/ sesame snaps


- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/Gas 4.

- Grease and line a 1lb loaf tin.

- To make the chocolate swirl; Put the butter and chocolate in a large heatproof bowl. Set over a pan of simmering water and gently melt. Stir occasionly.

- Place all the other ingredients in a large mixing bowl and add the butter and chocolate, once melted. Whisk until smooth.

- In another large bowl add all the ingredients for the sesame swirl. Whisk until smooth,

- Alternate blobs of mixture into the loaf tin until you have used both mixes up.

- Take a skewer or a sharp knife and lightly swirl the mixtures, to create a marble effect.

- Bake for 40 - 45 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.

 - Leave to cool completely. 

- Once cool. Whisk together the double cream, cocoa powder and vanilla extract until you have stiff peaks.

- Pipe the cream on top, however you fancy, and sprinkle crushed sesame brittle/sesame snaps over the top.





1 Reply

1 comment

© Little Paper Swans. Design by Fearne.