Gingerbread Loaf with Cream Cheese Frosting

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Simple Easy UK Gingerbread Loaf Recipe With Cream Cheese Icing

Simple Easy UK Gingerbread Loaf Recipe With Cream Cheese Icing

I can't believe how quickly Christmas is sneaking up on us. I have pretty much done with present buying and there's not that much left to get with the food shop. I've frozen all the meat ahead and will be making food ahead too. It's just the fresh fruit, veg and dairy products that I can't get yet.

I'm rather excited to be hosting Christmas this year. I'm hoping that I will be able to show you a sneaky peek of how our table is going to look on Christmas day. I just need to hurry up and decide on a dinner set. Help!? I'm getting more into the festive mood and I can't wait for my husband to finish work (and me to finish my edits) so we can spend time together and eat lots of food. Which brings me nicely to this loaf cake.

This recipe will certainly not win any awards for originality or creativity. It won't be the next food craze. But do you know what it is? It's good honest food that will comfort you after a long day. Okay maybe I'm getting a touch carried away but this gingerbread loaf is the perfect cake to be making this time of year. Not only are the flavours festive but the texture and overall taste are just the perfect pick me up. Perfect with friends over a cup of tea.

Simple Easy UK Gingerbread Loaf Recipe With Cream Cheese Icing

Gingerbread Loaf with Cream Cheese Frosting

Serves 8

225g self raising flour

1tsp baking powder

pinch of salt

1 tbsp ground ginger

55g baking butter

55g brown sugar

8 tbsp black treacle

2 eggs

200ml full fat milk

100g soft cheese

65g icing sugar

ginger biscuits (crushed to decorate - optional)


Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC/Gas 4.

Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.

In a bowl combine the flour, salt, baking powder and ginger.

Melt together the baking butter, black treacle and sugar and stir into the flour mixture.

In a measuring jug combine the milk and eggs.

Gradually beat the egg and milk mix into the flour to make a smooth thick batter. 

Pour into the tin and bake for 45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.

The gingerbread should have risen and be sticky to touch. 

Leave to cool.

COmbine the cream cheese and icing sugar into a bowl and dollop on top of the cake. place in the fridge to set.

The cake will need to be kept in the fridge until eaten.

The longer you leave the cake the better and stickier it becomes. It will last for a week without frosting (if it hangs around for that long!). 
1 Reply

1 comment

  1. Yummmm! This does look like good homey food I would love some right now, can you deliver this to me? Lol : ) I hope you had an amazing Christmas and a happy new year! You are very brave to host it at your house, I think I would have to hire a cook haha! Thanks for sharing with #StayClassyMama!

    ReplyDelete

© Little Paper Swans. Design by Fearne.