The Photography Series: Photography FAQ

Wednesday, July 26, 2017


What camera/s do you use?

My main camera is a Nikon D750.  I bought it last year and it's the first DSLR I've bought new. It's an absolute dream and worth every single penny. I also have a Canon 600D this is really handy for just popping in my bag if I want to take some photographs for Instagram or I don't want to lug around all of my equipment. I also own a Nkion D200 that has been retired but I can't part with my first DSLR. I also own a Fujifilm Instax Wide.

And what about lens?

My go to lens for my D750 is a Sigma 1.4 35mm art lens. It's so beautiful, again worth every penny. The Canon 600D has a 1.8 50mm. I also own a 1.8 50mm for Nikon, a 18-55mm kit lens and an 18 - 70mm kit lens too.

What DSLR should I buy to start out with?

This is a question I get asked a lot but it's dependent on so many things. Your budget and what you want to use it for being the main ones. I would recommend while you're starting out to get a second hand camera. Most are well looked after and will be perfect for starting out. I started out with a Nikon D200 which cost me £400 second hand back in 2010. It's still a great camera and would be perfect for a beginner. Once you've learnt the basics and can shoot on manual because you really need to be and you've got your head around RAW then you can look at a full frame camera which will cost you a bit more but they are worth it for the quality and detail they can pick up. Do your research and to begin with stick to Canon or Nikon. 

How do you edit your photographs? 

You can read all about that here. For blog photographs I do exactly the same thing other than open them in VSCO. 


Do you ever just snap a photo for IG or do you always stage your shot?

I don't stage every shot. If I'm out for the day and see something pretty then I go ahead a snap away but I'm careful about how I want things to look. I'm not going to share photographs online that I'm not proud off. I have millions of photographs that are blurred or just a snapshot of Edith but they're for me. I would say 60% of my Instagram grid is staged.

How do you find your own unique look/ theme for photos?

This question came from my Phone Photography Course and I thought it was a great one to include. In all honesty I think it's trial and error. I look back at some of the photographs I took a couple of years ago and wonder what I was thinking. I've learnt how to take better photographs and naturally I've improved. You just need to find what works for you and practice. I remember my sixth form photography teacher telling me that painters have sketchbook full of skies and clouds so they can perfect them for their main drawings. Photographers need to do the same. We need to practice, learn from our mistakes and improve our work.

How do you light your photographs?

I'm all about natural light. And even on the greyest of days you can find a pocket of light. I hate artificial light with a passion and I would rather wait until another day to take my photographs than use artificial light.

Your Instagram is very styled with regards to filter and colour palette. Do you find this restrictive?

Yeah I guess sometimes I do, but I like to keep my colour palette similar for a consistent look. I still like to have big skies and negative space in location photographs, which living in East Anglia is easy to find big open skies. And plain backgrounds and negative space are what I like to see in flatlays and still life too. In all honesty I think it's just how I'm drawn to taking photos.

How did you start out as a professional photographer?

I didn't want to go back after maternity leave to a job I didn't enjoy anymore. So I just made the jump. I had a Facebook page but that was more of a hobby to begin with. In the end I pushed forward with it and put my energy into it. Sometimes I don't think it's real and I have to pinch myself that this is my job. My best advice would be to just go for it. Make the jump!

If you have any other questions please pop them below and I'll either answer them in the comments or write another blog post.

I hope you're enjoying my Photography Series.

You can now get your hands on my Phone Photography Course as a self paced workbook. Head over to my Etsy shop for more details.

Photographs from my Springtime Stock Collection.
0 Replies

Post a Comment

© Little Paper Swans. Design by Fearne.