Gingerbread Wreath

Sunday, December 08, 2013







I love Christmas wreaths, but spending a lot of money on one that will wilt and that you can't eat seems a little silly to me. I've seen a few of these of pinterest and decided that I need to make one. I was half expecting for it to fail or for it to look awful but I'm actually quite impressed with myself.  The best part is you don't need a fancy cutter for the wreath you just need a side plate and a tea plate and two different sized star cutters. Now I wouldn't recommend hanging this on your door, but it certainly looks great as centre to piece at a Christmas gathering or just making it for fun!

720g plain flour
1 tbsp of baking powder
10ml ground cinnamon
5ml ground ginger
5ml ground mixed spice
250g golden syrup
400g golden caster sugar
60g butter
60ml milk
1 large egg

100g icing sugar

Sieve the flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, fine ginger and mixed spice together in a bowl.

 In a saucepan, heat golden syrup, golden caster sugar and butter together. Remove from the heat  and leave to cool slightly.

 Stir one-third of the flour mixture into the syrup mixture and add 1 large egg. Stir to combine add the remaining flour and enough milk so the mixture binds to form a dough.

Knead the dough for a few minutes until it becomes less sticky and elastic. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface and use a side plate to cut a circle out. Use a smaller plate, I used a tea plate, to cut out the inner circle.

Use different sized star-shaped cookie cutters to cut stars out enough stars to cover the wreath. Place on to greased baking sheets. 

Bake at 160ºC for 8-15 minutes, depending on the size of the biscuits, until golden and the edges start to brown slightly. Leave to cool completely.

To assemble make up a thick glace icing. By combining sieved icing sugar and 
1tbsp water. 

Use the icing as a glue to stick the stars to the wreath and on top of the other stars. Use any left over icing to decorate. I iced the smaller stars and used holly sprinkles. You could use anything you liked. 

And there you go. I told you it was quite simple. I had lots of left over dough, I have put some in the freezer and made a few gingerbread men.



post signature
Cuddle Fairy
9 Replies

9 comments

  1. Oh my I seriously want to make this! I have everything but the flour in the cupboards. Sooo tempting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go out and get some flour!! Haha. It's so easy to make! :)

      Delete
  2. This looks amazing!! I am so tempted to give this a go for work, they'd go absolutely mental! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so sweet, Cathryn! However, I would feel awful when people came in to find me nibbling on a whole WREATH of gingerbread. Better keep them separate so now one can see how many I've actually eaten :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Haha, yeah that is the only problem!

      Delete
  4. This is absolutely lovely! :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks wonderful, definitely need to have a go at making this.

    ReplyDelete

© Little Paper Swans. Design by Fearne.