Creme Egg Pastry Twists

Wednesday, March 23, 2016


This post was written for Chalk Kids 21/03/2016. And first appeared here. But it seemed too good not to share again! 

When I was little, my Mum and Dad would buy me a chocolate bunny every Easter. Being the kind of sentimental person I am I didn’t want to eat it and ruin it. So as a compromise I would take a picture of it on a disposable camera. That means that somewhere in my Mum’s house is a box full of photographs of chocolate rabbits. It still makes me laugh now thinking about it.

I do love Easter chocolate. I think it’s better than Christmas chocolate. There is something about chocolate shaped as an egg that just makes it taste so much better. I can’t wait until Edith is old enough to enjoy Easter properly. This year she will be getting an egg cup and a little pair of socks with rabbits and chicks on. Though I can just imagine her next year with a face full of chocolate!

It’s really not Easter without a Crème Egg (or two or three) although my Husband (still feels odd saying nearly a month in) would disagree. I don’t understand how you can’t like them? Chocolate and the fondant centre, it’s just the perfect chocolate treat!

I am pretty sure that there is now a Crème Egg recipe for everything. Crème Egg brownies, a loaf cake with Crème Eggs oozing from the middle, cupcakes, tarts, ice cream, I could go on but it could take a while. So I got thinking. What haven’t I seen a Crème Egg version of? Pastries, that’s what.

I decided that a Crème Egg pastry would make the perfect breakfast for Easter Sunday. Although why not make a big batch and have them on Good Friday and the bank holiday Monday too! They taste just like a Crème Egg but with the added bonus of crispy pastry.

I have to admit I didn’t make my own puff pastry however if you are feeling a lot less lazy than me then please make your own. It will make these twists taste even better! 




Crème Egg Pastry Twists

You will need:

375g ready rolled puff pastry

3 Crème Eggs

45g Dairy Milk chocolate, melted

1 medium egg, beaten



Preheat the oven to 180ºC/Gas 4.

Line a large baking tray with baking parchment.

Take your ready rolled puff pastry and cut in half. Set one half aside for later.

Spread an even layer of melted dairy milk onto the half of puff pastry and leave to set.

In the meantime smash the Crème Egg into small chunks. I used a rolling pin.

Place the Crème Egg on top of the chocolate making sure they are spaced out evenly.

Take the other half of puff pastry and place over the top of the other half.

Cut 3cm sized strips from the pastry. You will need a sharp knife to cut through any pieces of Crème egg.

Take the strip between your hands and gently twist few times to make a spiral. Place onto the baking tray.

Brush the pastry with a good cover of beaten egg.

Bake for 20 minutes or until crisp and golden.

Leave to cool completely before taking of the tray.
0 Replies

Post a Comment

© Little Paper Swans. Design by Fearne.