Broccoli & Cheddar Soup

Friday, March 03, 2017

Broccoli & Cheddar Soup

Broccoli & Cheddar Soup


Oh soup, you're so difficult to make look pretty. I mean it would be hard to make this soup look pretty being luminous green. But this soup doesn't need to look good because it tastes amazing! 

I saw on someone Insta stories the other day that you can buy soup mixes and I was a little bit shocked. Although buying pre-packed veg may be easier it works out 3 times more expensive. You can buy broccoli for 45p. And the best thing about this soup is that you use the whole thing which means no waste! So save yourself some pennies and make up a batch of this soup.

I have memories of my mum making this when I was little. I couldn't understand why she though this weird looking soup was so tasty. Mum, I was so wrong. It tastes so creamy without the need for added cream and it's so simple to make.

I topped mine with some leftover crispy bacon and a little bit of extra cheese and oh my! This soup makes a great lunchtime recipe and great for babies and toddlers too, Edith loved it, that girl enjoys her soup! Or why not have it with some crusty bread served up for dinner. Yum yum. I'm feeling hungry again now!


Broccoli & Cheddar Soup.

- Serves 4 - 

1 medium onion

175g potato

450g broccoli

salt and pepper to season

850ml vegetable stock

175g mature cheddar cheese, grated



Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pan.

Chop the onion and potato roughly, add to the pan and fry gently.

Trim the end of the broccoli off, getting rid of the woody end. And roughly chop. Add to the pan.

Add the vegetable stock.

Simmer for 20 minutes until the vegetables are soft and fully cooked.

Carefully pour the mixture into a blender and blend until smooth. 

Pour into a serving bowl or back into the pan. 

Add the grated cheddar cheese.

Season and serve.

TIP: If you want to freeze the soup so not add the cheese. Always add the cheese before serving. This prevents the soup from becoming stodgy.




0 Replies

Post a Comment

© Little Paper Swans. Design by Fearne.